Friday, July 4, 2014

How To Feel Good About Yourself

Hi everyone, now today I wanted to talk about something other than anxiety. Although I want to promote feeling good in your own skin, it can be hard when you just can't. A lot of my friends have told me to stop wearing makeup to school, so I did. To start with, I did get a lot of compliments and I started to feel better about myself. Eventually the novelty wore off and I started feeling ugly and pretty shit; because I wasn't getting the compliments anymore and I just felt so much better wearing that extra layer on my face! So I started wearing it again, then I stopped, then the cycle began again. So although I want you to feel good in your own skin, if you don't here are my top tips:
 
Makeup
This can be a great way to start feeling better about yourself, I know it sounds silly but it is just really satisfying that when you do wear it- and you look in the mirror and you look so much better! So, if you are just starting out in makeup and are on a budget, there are a lot of awesome cheap "drugstore" brands to chose from. Base makeup is so buildable so you can chose the amount you want, here are my top tips (sorry the photos are the product images but the quality of my camera is shocking so I wanted you to see it well!):

Tip Number 1!
Get to know your skin!
If you don't know what skin type you have, here is a good way to determine: when you wake up in the morning, feel your face. What is it like? If it feels greasy and sweaty all over, you my friend- are kindly welcomed into the oily club! With oily skin, you want to make sure you use a primer to keep your makeup on, a matte foundation and ALWAYS POWDER! Another thing I do is use a mattifying moisturiser, these are really good at absorbing oils.
If, when you wake up and your skin feels oily in some places and dry in others, you are combination! It is quite hard to tell what to use, but I would recommend a seaweed based skincare product- go to the Body Shop they have some crackers! And then just try out some different foundation finishes, and if you like use a primer but it may feel a little cakey! And you still need to powder!
If your skin doesn't really feel like anything, you know what I mean? Then you have normal skin! You can use whatever foundation you like, just find the one that you love the most but still remember to powder- we don't want no shine!
Finally, if you have dry skin- you will know! You probably won't need a primer but if you have large pores then you could use a pore minimiser. My one and only tip is to steer clear from mattes. They will look disgusting on your skin! They will cling to your dry patches and then it just makes it look like you were trying to conceal a spot, so try a more satin finish because that will look absolutely lush!

Tip Number 2!
 Powder, powder, powder!
Powder will be your best friend! Apply it over your foundation to get rid of shine or use a pigmented powder over foundation to give a bit of extra coverage, or on its own to give a natural look. I personally love the Rimmel London Stay Matte Powder if you are on a budget. It comes in Translucent, Pink Blossoms, Peach Glow, Sandstorm, Silky Beige and Nude Beige. It costs £3.99 so it is super cheap for what it is! If you want some other reviews click here:
http://uk.rimmellondon.com/products/face/stay-matte-pressed-powder


A higher end powder that I love, not so much for setting make up but for wearing as my/ instead of foundation is the Benefit Hello Flawless Powder, I have tried the foundation version of this, which was apparently good for oily skin, but I didn't really get along with it. I still have some leftover so I might try it again, because I used it in winter when I had more dry skin. So this powder is glorious! It makes my skin feel so silky and soft and just so posh! I am a lover of Benefit makeup and even though it is on the pricier side, it is well worth it trust me! However, I am digressing here, but I have tried a couple of their products which I am not a fan of. Would you like a blog post on that?
http://www.benefitcosmetics.co.uk/product/view/hello-flawless <----- click there for more info!

However, it does cost £25.50 which to be honest is quite a lot of money but I am in love, if I could marry this product, I would!

Tip Number 3!Mascara is your friend!
Don't be afraid to use mascara, after all it is going to finish off your look amazingly. If there was only one product I would have to use forever it would be a mascara because
it really just adds that much more "wowness" to your face. Some people like to wear just mascara as their makeup, that is totally fine- but in my opinion, I wouldn't wear it without a base on my face but that is just my opinion! My favourite mascara is the Collection Big Fake Ultimate, it costs £4.99 however it does dry up fairly fast and to my knowledge as of know they are yet to make a waterproof version which sucks!(the link to the collection site isn't working so here is the Boots one instead!) http://www.boots.com/en/Collection2000-Big-Fake-Ultimate-Mascara_1281311/ 



A waterproof mascara I am loving is the Benefit Bad Gal Lash mascara, now on the packaging it doesn't say it is waterproof and I haven't tested it in a pool or anything, however- I did wear it to watch The Fault in Our Stars, and I cried so, so much! And not a tear mark, pretty impressive right?

http://www.benefitcosmetics.co.uk/product/view/badgal-lash-mascara

Tip Number 4!
Use Youtube!
If these tips have been useful, great! However, there are loads of beauty gurus online and where I learned all I know about makeup! So, I am pretty sure you have- go and check out other beauty Youtubers because a lot of them are make up artists so they give awesome and super advice, here are some of my favourites: (I just had a heart attack, I went to click on another tab and I accidentally closed this one and I thought I lost all of this- I didn't  though. phew!)
https://www.youtube.com/user/pixi2woo - Tanya Burr
https://www.youtube.com/user/pixiwoo - Pixiwoo (Nic and Sam)
https://www.youtube.com/user/Sprinkleofglitter - Sprinkle of Glitter (Louise)
https://www.youtube.com/user/zoella280390 - Zoella (Zoe)
https://www.youtube.com/user/kandeejohnson - Kandee Johnson
https://www.youtube.com/user/essiebutton - Essiebutton
https://www.youtube.com/user/FleurDeForce- Fleur DeForce
Of course, there are so many more, but these are just a few that I love.

Hair
I don't have too many tips on how to feel good about your hair, because I am still learning all different and funky hairstyles. I can't even French plait...

Tip Number 1:
You can do it if you dry shampoo it!
Dry shampoo is my saviour! You know the days when you just can't be arsed to do anything with your hair and you haven't washed it in like four days? Dry shampoo is an excellent solution! You just spray it in your roots and massage it in, BAM! You are done. I stand by Batiste because they are really inexpensive and they have such a good range. I also love that the scent lingers too because there would be nothing worse than putting dry shampoo in your hair if the smell went away- nobody wants smelly hair haha! They just make dry shampoo so you can guarantee it will be good because they put all of their energy into making just the one product- not loads of others!
http://www.batistehair.co.uk/
You can also use it just to give your hair a bit more volume or texture too! There are so many different scents and formulas so you will find one you love and they make minis too! I am a lover of the Coconut and Exotic Tropical one.

Tip Number 2!
Salt Spray it up!
Salt spray is a great way to give a beachy and wavy look to your locks. I have curly-frizzy hair so I hate when I brush it and it goes all frizzy and yucky! So, spray some of this beauty in and Bob's your uncle! I like to spray it in my hair directly, twist some parts around my hair and scrunch some of my hair up. I also like applying it to my fingers and just run that through my hair too. This is my solution to anti-frizz but keeping the waves and it adds so much texture to my hair! I have been using the L'Oreal one, and I love it. It smells like anti-septic which could be an issue for some people but I love it- most hair brands make them too!
http://www.loreal-paris.co.uk/styling/studio-line/matt-and-messy/tousled-wave-salt-spray.aspx

 So, that is it! My top tips of feeling amazing in your own skin. Of course, you can just pick and chose which tips you would like to use and I hope you have enjoyed this! If you have twitter, comment below and tweet me (@didijustpanic) I LOVE LOOKING GOOD! Love you guys, please comment!

X

No comments:

Post a Comment