Monday, June 30, 2014

Chapter 1: The Facts- continued

Hi everyone, last week's anxiety post was about GAD, so to continue with what I was doing I am going to, as promised, talk about SAD or social anxiety disorder. I do not suffer with this condition as such; however I am a very shy person around new people. I don't know why this is, but I have always been a very shy and socially anxious person- for example, when all the other kids would get up to do a dance at a party I would always be the last person and might I add, with a heck of a lot of persuasion. Even now, at my drama club, I detest improvisation because I am constantly thinking what if other people laugh at me? I also have a really bad 'phobia'? of answering the phone- if it rings and it is someone other than my mum, dad, nan or gramps, it will go to voicemail! I don't know why this is but I am just really afraid of it, like I don't even know what I am scared about answering a phone haha!  So, that was a little background on me and SAD, sort of, now into the facts:
 
Social Anxiety Disorder
 
Okay, so SAD is more than just shyness and can cause intense feelings of fear and panic when completing everyday tasks, like me- talking on the phone or going to the shops. Suffers might be afraid of doing or saying something embarrassing or humiliating. SAD can severely impact and disrupt everyday life and interaction with other people, hence leaving the sufferer feeling isolated or alone. If you are displaying these signs, perhaps go and have a consolation with your GP:
 
  • Dread everyday activities such as:
-meeting strangers
-talking in groups
-starting conversations
-going shopping
-talking to figures of authority
-eating or drinking in groups
 
  • Have low self esteem and you feel insecure about your relationships
  • Fear criticism
  • Avoid eye contact
  • Misuse of drugs and alcohol to reduce anxiety
  • Panic attacks, I am not going to go into detail about panic attacks because I want to do a whole blog post on it!
 
There is no actual proven cause for SAD however the NHS do think that genes and a contribution of other factors are to blame. Anxiety UK think that parents may play a part in developing SAD, they think that children who had parents like this could have a higher possibility in developing SAD:
  • Overprotective
  • Not affectionate enough
  • Constantly criticising you, fear you aren't doing well enough
  • Worrying about your manners and appearance, more than the average person
  • Exaggerating "STRANGER DANGER"
 
Again, like GAD treatment usually begins with CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy) (more explanation in previous post) and then moving on to SSRI's if the CBT is inconclusive. However there can be some nasty side effects of SSRI's, here are just a few:
  • feeling sick
  • blurred vision
  • dizziness
  • insomnia (sleeping problems)
If the above treatments are not working for you then psychotherapy could be a possibility, this involves talking with a trained professional about your anxiety, this could be one-to-one, in a group or with your parents, wife, husband or partner. Psychotherapy for SAD usually works on building on social skills and interaction, and will consist of around 25-30 sessions over a span of 8 months.
 
I hope that this post has been fairly helpful for any SAD sufferers- please check back within the week for more posts on anxiety, music and beauty!
 
X
 
(ps. I wrote my GCSE creative writing coursework on a therapy session with somebody with panic disorder- so I may take snippets of that in my next post which will be on Panic Disorder)  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment